support@yorubalibrary.com
   +2348073529208

header

OUR VISION:

• To connect Yoruba speakers of all levies all round the world
  • To be a foremost, Indigenous & One-Stop Yoruba Resources Hub.
  • To create a friendly avenue where Yoruba speakers of all levels can meet, interact & learn.
  • To showcase Yoruba Gist, Products and Services.
  • To widen knowledge of students & increase productivity.
  • To uphold Yoruba morals, cultures and heritages

WHO WE ARE:

• Our Team is made up of indigenous Yoruba linguistics.
  • We are equipped with professionals, ever-ready to impact knowledge.
  • Yoruba as a tribe: we understand "What" people need, "Why" needed & "How" to implement.

WHAT WE DO:

• Make Yoruba contents accessible to everyone in any part of the world
  • Offer Dynamic Yoruba Services.
  • Yoruba-based Project Evaluation, Analysis & Appraisals.
  • Seminar & Lecture.
  • Research & Content Writing.
  • Enumeration & Consultation.
  • Business Planning & Project Supervision.
  • and more...

Folktale: The Wise Rabbit

Folktales are an integral part of Yoruba culture, passing down wisdom, morals, and traditions through generations. One popular Yoruba folktale is that of the Wise Rabbit, a story that teaches lessons about wit, intelligence, and resourcefulness.
traditional folklore about the wise rabbit
The Story of the Wise Rabbit
Once upon a time, in a lush forest in Yoruba land, there lived a cunning rabbit named Ologbon. Known for his cleverness, Ologbon was respected and sometimes feared by other animals. Despite his small size, he often outwitted larger and stronger creatures.

The Lion's Challenge
One day, the king of the forest, a mighty lion, decided to test Ologbon's wisdom. The lion was tired of hearing about the rabbit's cleverness and wanted to prove that strength was more important than intelligence. He summoned Ologbon and presented him with a challenge.

"Ologbon," the lion roared, "I have heard tales of your cleverness. I challenge you to outsmart me. If you fail, you will become my next meal."

Ologbon, though initially intimidated, quickly composed himself. He knew he had to think of a plan that would outsmart the lion. After a moment of thought, he responded, "Great king, I accept your challenge. Meet me at the riverbank at dawn tomorrow, and I will show you my wisdom."

The Clever Trick
That night, Ologbon worked tirelessly to set his plan into motion. He gathered materials and crafted a scarecrow that resembled himself. He placed the scarecrow at the riverbank and hid nearby, waiting for the lion to arrive.

At dawn, the lion approached the riverbank, eager to see what Ologbon had in store. From his hiding spot, Ologbon called out, "Great king, I am here, but I must warn you, I have a powerful spell that can make me invisible."

The lion, both curious and skeptical, approached the scarecrow, believing it to be the rabbit. As he pounced, he was surprised to find that his prey was nothing more than a bundle of sticks and clothes.

The Lesson
Realizing he had been tricked, the lion roared in frustration. Ologbon emerged from his hiding place and addressed the lion, "Great king, you see, wisdom and intelligence can often triumph over brute strength. Let this be a lesson that cleverness and resourcefulness are powerful tools."

The lion, though humbled, acknowledged the rabbit's cleverness and let him go. From that day on, Ologbon's reputation as the Wise Rabbit grew even stronger, and the other animals respected him even more.

Conclusion
The story of the Wise Rabbit is a timeless Yoruba folktale that teaches the importance of intelligence and wit. It reminds us that no matter how small or seemingly insignificant we may be, cleverness and resourcefulness can help us overcome even the greatest challenges.

Do you have topic or anything about Yoruba culture that interest you and you'd like us to cover? Easily request it here

Connect with us!

• follow us on youtube
  • join Yoruba Library WhatsApp Group
  • Subscribe to mailing list