support@yorubalibrary.com
   +2348073529208

header

OUR VISION:

• To connect Yoruba speakers of all levies all round the world
  • To be a foremost, Indigenous & One-Stop Yoruba Resources Hub.
  • To create a friendly avenue where Yoruba speakers of all levels can meet, interact & learn.
  • To showcase Yoruba Gist, Products and Services.
  • To widen knowledge of students & increase productivity.
  • To uphold Yoruba morals, cultures and heritages

WHO WE ARE:

• Our Team is made up of indigenous Yoruba linguistics.
  • We are equipped with professionals, ever-ready to impact knowledge.
  • Yoruba as a tribe: we understand "What" people need, "Why" needed & "How" to implement.

WHAT WE DO:

• Make Yoruba contents accessible to everyone in any part of the world
  • Offer Dynamic Yoruba Services.
  • Yoruba-based Project Evaluation, Analysis & Appraisals.
  • Seminar & Lecture.
  • Research & Content Writing.
  • Enumeration & Consultation.
  • Business Planning & Project Supervision.
  • and more...

Folktale: The Lion and the Mouse

Folktales are an integral part of Yoruba oral tradition, passing down wisdom, morals, and cultural values through generations. One such beloved tale is the story of "The Lion and the Mouse." This timeless narrative teaches lessons about kindness, humility, and the unexpected ways in which help can come.
story and lion and the mouse
The Tale of the Lion and the Mouse

The Encounter and the Plea
Once upon a time, in a vast African forest, a mighty lion lay asleep under a large tree. As the king of the jungle, he was feared and respected by all the animals. One day, a little mouse, scurrying about in search of food, accidentally ran over the lion’s nose and woke him from his slumber. Enraged, the lion caught the tiny creature under his massive paw.

"How dare you disturb my sleep?" roared the lion. "I will crush you for your insolence!"

The terrified mouse begged for his life. "Please, mighty lion, spare me! If you let me go, I promise to repay your kindness someday."

The lion laughed at the thought of a tiny mouse helping him. But he was amused by the mouse’s courage and decided to let him go. "Very well," said the lion, lifting his paw. "You are free. Now be gone!"

The Lion in Trouble
Days passed, and the lion roamed the forest as the undisputed king. One day, he fell into a hunter's trap. Strong ropes bound him, and he could not free himself no matter how hard he struggled. His roars of anger and fear echoed through the forest.

The little mouse heard the lion’s desperate roars and rushed to the scene. Seeing the mighty lion trapped, the mouse quickly began to gnaw at the ropes with his sharp teeth. Bit by bit, the ropes weakened until the lion was finally free.

"You have saved my life," said the lion, deeply humbled. "I never thought a small creature like you could help me."

The mouse replied, "Even the smallest friend can be the greatest help. Kindness is never wasted, and one good turn deserves another."

Moral Lessons
1.  Kindness and Compassion: The tale highlights the importance of showing kindness to others, regardless of their size or status. The lion's act of mercy was repaid when he least expected it.

2.  Humility: The story teaches that even the mighty can find themselves in need of help from those they consider insignificant. The lion's humility in accepting help from the mouse underscores this lesson.

3.  Reciprocity: The mouse’s promise to repay the lion's kindness illustrates the value of reciprocity and loyalty in relationships. Good deeds often come back to reward us in unexpected ways.

Significance in Yoruba Culture
Yoruba folktales like "The Lion and the Mouse" are not just stories for entertainment; they are tools for teaching moral values and social norms. These tales are shared during gatherings, festivals, and family occasions, fostering a sense of community and continuity. They serve to educate both young and old, reinforcing cultural values and ethical behavior.

Conclusion
The Yoruba folktale of "The Lion and the Mouse" is a powerful narrative that continues to resonate across generations. Its lessons on kindness, humility, and reciprocity are universal, reminding us that no act of kindness is ever too small. Through stories like these, the rich tapestry of Yoruba culture and wisdom is preserved and passed on, ensuring that the moral teachings of the past remain relevant in the present.

Do you have topic or anything about Yoruba culture that interest you and you'd like us to cover? Easily request it here

Connect with us!

• follow us on youtube
  • join Yoruba Library WhatsApp Group
  • Subscribe to mailing list